Can Social Search drive traffic to your blog? Are Social Signals the new currency of the web?
- Social media’s influence on driving traffic to your blog or website is expected to surpass search engine optimization (SEO) in 2013, according to eMarketer. Savvy bloggers must pay attention to how social media is changing search, and ultimately how it can change the rules of your brand’s online visibility.
- Social Signals are actions performed by a content reader when they share particular content to a Social Network. Signals can consist of Facebook likes and shares; Google +1s, Twitter mentions, tweets or retweets; Pinterest pins; s; mentions on Digg, StumbleUpon,Reddit and other social news websites.
The term “Social Search” has evolved to describe how search engines tie together your social network — also referred to as social graph and the Social Signals that are generated by your connections on Facebook, Twitter, or any other major social network with your content.
Social Search results displayed by search engine give more visibility to content created or related by friends and connections within your Social Graph.
Bing’s sidebar now pulls and displays relevant information to your search queries from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare and Quora. This is a powerful marketing and engagement improvement and it is obvious that site owners need to update their content and social media strategies.
How to Improve Social Search Visibility:
- Build links naturally. Publish high-quality content that people will be inclined to share naturally on social media networks.
- Build high-quality and influential networks on Facebook , Twitter and especially Google+. This increases the chances of your content being discovered and reduces your reliance on traditional Search Ranking.
- Content that gets shared, wins. Make it easy to share. Include social sharing buttons at both the top and bottom of your blog post or alternately, use a scrolling option that moves down the page as readers scroll).
- Shared content provides an important entry points into your site, driving traffic from social sources.
- Shared content improves SEO ranking
- Discover and track what your blog visitors are sharing and where they’re sharing it via Google Analytics.
- The Social Report in Google Analytics shows which networks your visitors were referred from and which articles on your site are most commonly shared along with which social buttons are being clicked to share them. This will tell you what is working so that you can increase your success!
- People increasingly engage with, share, and discuss content on social networks. It’s important to know which pages and content are being shared, where they’re being shared, and how.
However, let’s be clear SEO is not outdated, yet..,
Social Search is still just a small part of over all web referrals. Social media traffic only accounts for 5 to 10% of total traffic vs search at over 45% or more or all referrals. Social signals can drive large amounts of web traffic, significantly increase sales. Social signals are essential to build your reputation and authority.
Social media is constantly being touted as the SEO industry’s next big thing. The ramifications of Social Search are important to your business and require an update to your social media management and participation strategy.